We are truly blessed with an abundance of food in Canada and all too often take for granted the bounty that surrounds us. Thousands of Canadians are involved directly on the farm and thousands more in the food processing, feed, implements, transportation and supply sectors across the country. Not only are our farming families feeding Canada, Conservative governments have helped these family farms feed the world and create a stronger economy.
Previous Conservative governments have worked with our agriculture producers to ensure new markets could be opened up for all of agriculture while protecting supply management. As Parliamentary Secretary for Trade, I worked closely with these families and their associations to conclude the European Free Trade agreement.When someone compares our dairy and poultry family farms to cartels like OPEC, they demonstrate a profound lack of understanding of agriculture and shows their willingness to let agriculture producers be used like political props.
As leader of the Conservative Party, I will fight for our farm families by:
- protecting supply management for our dairy and poultry farms;
- maintaining commitments made by the Conservative government to dairy and poultry sectors resulting from import changes coming from the CETA and TPP trade deals;
- ending the Liberal carbon tax which will drive up farm input costs like diesel fuel, natural gas, fertilizer, transportation and electricity;
- gaining more market access for our livestock, grain and oilseed producers in our free trade negotiations;
- supporting more agriculture research and the harmonization of farm product regulations with our trading partners;
- ensuring our farm safety net programs are predictable, bankable and manageable, and
- recognizing the critical environmental stewardship provided by Canadian farmers and rewarding them for the positive impacts they have on wetlands conservation, carbon sequestration, reforestation, species protection and maintaining pollinator habitat.